Thursday, February 25, 2010

Every Once in a While... Take the Train

I spent the past week attending relocation meetings and visiting with relocation professionals. What a great opportunity to learn new things and “pick people’s brains”, all while renewing professional friendships!

Heading back home to New Haven on the train I also realized how lucky I am to live in a place where trains are readily available for travel. Why doesn’t everyone travel this way? It is comfortable, easy, and convenient. It took me to my meeting in DC and my meeting in Virginia. I could plug in my computer, charge my BlackBerry, get my work done in a comfortable setting, watch the snow fly by the window, see the country.

I didn’t have to “check in” an hour before my flight, go through security, take my shoes off (put my shoes back on), have my luggage scanned, or run to the terminal just in time to wait for the boarding call (or, as happened with my last flight, wait for them to “find a crew” to fly the plane). There was no lugging stuff from one terminal to another and no missed connection. And there was no “baggage charge”!

Also, I wasn’t stuck in traffic. I didn’t have to stop for gas, bathroom breaks, or food. I didn’t have to try to find a decent radio station to keep me from dying of boredom. Ohhh …. This was heaven!

I also felt a great sense of accomplishment. I was able to write two blogs, review and finalize a PowerPoint for an upcoming meeting, read a couple of periodicals, study some long-awaited industry resource material I’ve been trying to get to, review my business plan, take care of some personal issues, and eat my lunch. This is more than I can sometimes accomplish in a month of days at the office!

In the hustle and bustle of today’s world, we all need to find something that gives us time to pause and affords us a reason to stop “doing” just long enough. My recommendation? Every once in a while… take a train!

0 comments:

Post a Comment